Friday, October 26, 2012

Project Review Menagerie Creative Flying Machine Icon Design 2009-2011

The first design concept, a bit plain, but the basic proportions were there for the flying machine design.


As I moved ahead I added all the little filigree and details that make up the steam punk look as I added brass and copper all over the original design.


 We ditched the top fin added in a main sail design and a seat behind the carriage seats up front for a painter.


 The first final for the flying machine. I also did a simple animation of the wings flapping to fly.



A year later I changed out the front cabin to add in more seats as the company grew.


And last year I added the staircase to add even more.


Here is the multi-view of the current design.


Project Review
Menagerie Creative 
Flying Machine Icon Design
2009-2011 PART I


Client: Fox Home Entertainment via Menagerie Creative.
Creative Director: Cheryl Savala.
Project Date: November 2009.

I was asked to help out and design a steam-punk styled flying machine to be used as an icon for Menagerie Creative out here in California.I usually do movie poster work as my bread and butter, so to get a full on Conceptual Design project themed like this, is a real dream project.

I have done a good amount of steam-punk or "Jules Verne" styled vehicles and machines in the past and this was  one of the first I designed entirely in 3D, so no sketches at all, just 3D blocking from the start, so I have included all the early models and stages I delivered to show how the icon progressed forward these last few years.

Basic direction  given to me was to create a flying ship like machine with steam power and sails or wings. I used just wings all arounf at first with them up in front and rear, but eventually went to a main sail up top, but kept the lower wings  and mini 'cheek wings' off the head.

I made most of the body all out of copper and brass, real standard metals for this era of design work, with a green glass used thru out the design.

Over the last few years I have added a newer and bigger cabin for more people, as the company has grown, and last year I added the long staircase going up.

A very fun design to work on, and I will post some added steam punk assets I did for Cheryl in the weeks to come connected to this same look.


Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment