Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Personal Project: The Hobbit 3D Logo Rendered looks 2008

 First look I did for my take on The Hobbit, was in gold as the Iconic Lord of the Rings was done.

 A pitted aged stone version against a wall.


 A tilted the camera down low and increased the level of aging via the Dirt Shader for the alternate in rough stone.

 A Polished Chrome version of a 3D Logo look for The Hobbit.


 An amber glass version of the Logo, this round I made it double sided so the reflections, refractions, and caustics inside would be better and more complex than with the flat back.

 I increased the face count and added a displacement to the surface to give it a very rough shape, I also blurred out the reflections as this would be an aged look with no real shine.


 An aged Metal look at a slight angle on a gloss floor with a slight reflection for this one.


 A shot in an aged stone with moss growing in the cracks.

Personal Project
The Hobbit 3D Logo Rendered looks 2008

Client: NA
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date: Summer 2008.

In the Summer of 2008 I was an in-house Design Director at a Hollywood advertising agency that does primarily Movie related advertising, so with a new film, The Hobbit then in the works, I wanted to explore some looks for a 3D logo if needed in Print.

Often when I had downtime at Cimarron, I would search the web to see what fun film was being made that we were not working on,and would play around on my own with some 3D looks, and for The Hobbit, that is exactly what I did.

Now in my past position over at the competition, BLT Communications, I worked on Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings posters as seen here, so I wanted to take this logo to a full 3D Single Point Bevel, as what finished for LOTR and The Hobbit were Photoshop 3D Fakes. I had done quite a few Single Point Beveled Logos in the past so I went that route here too.

I experimented with a few alternates in various aged metals in the gold look as with LOTR, as well as a polished steel, and some concrete and glass too. A fun experiment for me to keep me sharp during a downtime.


Cheers THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment